My R skills have been steadily improving, and now I do try my hand at some eccentric projects as well. Of course, the more I use R, the more I feel inadequate given the range of possibilities for its use. It’s a steep learning curve, and some off beat projects keep me interested in scaling it.
One such use is mining social media sites for trends – Financial, Political, Branding Related etc. I am still in the process of refining my algorithms and parameters to feel confident about relying on them, but at the moment, I think I do get a fair insight into things such as Brand Perception or Political trends.
As a test, I looked to see what the sentiment for Flipkart was on Twitter. This histogram below is the result of my analysis:
I was a little surprised, since being a long time Flipkart fan, I have always been very pleased with their service and I was not expecting to see a plot skewed to the left .
This may not necessarily mean that Flipkart is horrible – it could just be that more people complain about what they perceive to be bad service than wax eloquent about a positive experience. A cross section of my data does confirm this – people are complaining more often than speaking about positive experiences. Also, I have not scored non-English tweets, and they have a score of 0.
- Case of #CHEATING and #Fraud against #Flipkart.com. Order ID: OD30728091408 [Incident: 130909-011676]. Details submitted to #ConsumerCourt
- @Flipkart please tell me when I’ll get my #GTAV delivered to me. I’ve been waiting a long time for it. #flipkart
- #Nokia Lumia 920 Now Available For Rs. 23999 From #Flipkart #India http://t.co/bsjauEunkY #wp8 #windowsphone
- Arghhhh … Kaam toh dhanng ka nai hota…. Baatein badi badi … Advertisements me…. #Flipkart
- I started hating #Flipkart Delivery Staff…
- Ab enough… I started hating #Flipkart .. Sooo much….
- Sigh. As usual. Flipkart shipping has no respect for computer products. Damaged in transit. Big impact on the side of the box. #flipkart
- @Flipkart still waiting for my #GTAV copy to arrive. Don’t think it’ll come to me today. #gutted #flipkart
- The book to grab and read! ‘The King’s Harvest’ by Chetan Raj Shrestha! Available on #flipkart http://t.co/k8WB5xug07
- OUT FOR DELIVERY SINCE FOREVER! Fuck you #Flipkart I still don’t have my #GTA5 #GTAV
I am of course, more interested in the financial use of such social data, perhaps as an indicator for Socio-Economic Stability, changing economic/company trends and the like. And political trends too while I am at it.
I did create a Narendra Modi vs Rahul Gandhi Sentiment Analysis, but I’ll leave that for another day. For now, you can make your own inferences from these two word clouds. A word of caution though – the Rahul Gandhi word cloud was made from 350 tweets less than the Narendra Modi cloud, since Twitter’s cap on my hourly API access had kicked in.